Thursday 11 October 2007

we must be settled here

I say that for a number of reasons. First, my friend Amberjae came through London on the way to the second half of her internship, and we were able to show her around. Which necessarily means that we know our way around. Which necessarily means that we're not strangers here anymore, entirely. The other reason is that it doesn't occur to me that we've done anything extraordinary, when actually everything we do is extraordinary if one takes into account the fact that doing anything in London is out of the ordinary for people who call somewhere else home. So I haven't blogged for a while because I didn't remember doing anything special, and then I looked at our recently downloaded pictures and thought 'what's wrong with me? Look at all these things we did!' So I think that means we're settled.

'Alright,' you say, 'what are these things you've done?' Well, first, when we got back from Leeds, my friend Caroline who had been in the play which will someday have its own entry in this or some other blog also found herself in London reading poetry at the Trinidad & Tobago High Commission. So we got to go to that. Exciting. I'd never been to a Trinidad High Commission before. Which is ironic, seeing as when I was younger I'd been all over the Haitian embassy in DC. Anyway, here's a picture or two from that event..

Caro T., myself and Caro M.


Joey, apparently saying something * hilarious * to Caroline


Ms. Caroline Neisha Taylor, giving a dramatic rendition of the verse of Anne Fridal




So that was quite an evening. Then, as I said before, my friend Amberjae came through town, and we took her places. 'Places' in this case includes the recreation of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on the Thames; the Borough Market; the Neal's Yard area of Covent Garden, one of my favourite spots (note how the 'u' has crept back into my writing) and the British Museum. Which all give me the opportunity to upload more wonderful pictures.

Joey at a magnetic poetry board in Neal's Yard:



The Neal's Yard Back Rub shop (is it any wonder I love it?):


The best chalk board statement in the world, at the Borough Market:


The Borough Market butcher shop (you may remember their rabbits), displaying ducks and some other unfortunate fowl:


Amberjae in front of posters at the Globe:


Joey in the wee little upper window-deck-thingy at the British Museum:


So now I know that I'm in danger of underestimating our adventures, I'll try to be extra vigilant and post things even when they're deceptively ordinary. :)

No comments: