Thursday 11 October 2007

on working

Alright, so I'm just about settled into the idea and fact of doing work on a regular basis for the internship, which is good seeing as I'm solely responsible for accomplishing a number of things. It's different than I'm accustomed to, though, because I work on my own from wherever I feel like, and have to be fairly mentally disciplined to get it all done well and in good time. I've found that when there's little/no set schedule it's hard to keep track of how much time you spend doing what, and to prioritize the work things and the personal things all at once. The good news is I think I'm getting the hang of it, or at least I haven't done anything wrong yet :)

In other words, I've done a lot of work this last week or two. On Tuesday evening I went to a talk that featured one of the directors of my center and George Soros, which was exciting. Yesterday I helped with the launch seminar and reception of the center's annual publication, the global civil society yearbook, which is so new it isn't even on the website yet but you can certainly look at the older ones there. (I'm peppering my post with links à la Joey.. teehee) All this in addition to the actual work of research and coordinating various things. In all, though, it's a very enjoyable learning curve.
~D

No comments: